This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop their skills in English to help them gain the most from work, education and everyday life. Its assessment requires the learner to apply skills-based and problem-solving techniques in realistic settings. Functional skills qualifications are recommended for learners over the age of 14. The qualification is suitable for delivery in a wide range of learning environments and can be taken as a stand-alone qualification or as part of a wider programme of study such as an apprenticeship or a traineeship. Learners undertaking an apprenticeship or an advanced apprenticeship will need to successfully complete functional skills as part of their framework or prove their exemption. The content of this course includes the following:
- Listening and communication
- Reading and writing
DurationThis qualification can be achieved using a variety of teaching and learning methods including classroom-based delivery, distance learning and embedded learning, the recommended learning hours must be completed. The GLH for this qualification is 45 hours; however, teaching time depends largely on the mode of delivery and the individual learner’s needs.
Who should attend?Functional skills qualifications are open to learners of all ages although they are intended for learners over the age of 14. There are no formal entry requirements for learners wishing to take these qualifications. Centres are however advised to assess a learner’s ICT skills prior to registering them for on-screen assessment. Paper-based assessment should be used for learners with limited ICT skills.
Assessment methodThis qualification includes three mandatory components:
- Speaking, listening & communication – This component is internally assessed and learners must complete two assessed tasks:
- Informal discussion on an unfamiliar subject (10 minutes)
- Formal discussion on a familiar subject (20 minutes)
- Reading – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by Highfield Qualifications. Learners must answer a series of questions using two texts based on real-life contexts. (1 hour)
- Writing – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by Highfield Qualifications. Learners must complete two writing tasks based on purposeful contexts. All tasks must be completed. (1 hour) The reading and writing examinations are available on demand in both an on-screen and a paper-based format.